[BITList] Sudan, Jelly Roll Morton

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Thu Oct 24 09:11:53 BST 2013

Mike,

The very saltiness of the Mission pool in Port Sudan was its attraction for us. The 6 week wait outside the port was enlivened only by the odd trip round the reefs with a couple of passengers in the motor boat, and vain attempts at fishing for the long red fish we could see plainly nosing against the shipside.  The ever present hope that we might be next in the queue put a damper on any maintenance other than minor.  So prickly heat was rife, and a lot of gin was wasted rubbing it on the affected areas to little effect. Once in, we used to sit and crouch at the shallow end of the pool, letting the itch be eased a bit, gazing up at the balcony whereon the padres's wife stood watching us benevolently, unaware that her clothes were transparent against the brilliant sun.