[BITList] 10 grammar rules you can forget: how to stop worrying andwrite proper | Science | The Guardian

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Tue Oct 1 10:55:35 BST 2013

Mike,

We all have at least two modes of speech, and at least two ways of writing - formal and informal. One problem with relaxing/abandoning rules is that there must be rules governing the degree to which the relaxation can be taken, otherwise problems can arise - abandoning is anarchy, so no rules apply; and it seems to me, reading the article, that the rules for relaxation are just as complex as those governing "standard" grammar. One small point - among the double negative stuff I don't see the Scottish double positive that means an emphatic negative - "Aye, right!"