[BITList] Hindustani

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Sun Nov 24 07:28:44 GMT 2013

G’day Mike,

An answer of some sort for you from CK.

>> I have recd a query from someone on the British India Company site asking what does SELWALE mean, it is a crew member’s rank on a ship.  I seem to think that there was a word SELWAR ?
>>
>> Would be grateful for any advice.  The Officers on the ships used to speak a kind of Hindustani Baht.

Hi John

The suffix -wala just means someone who has the prefix article. A person who has, say, a motorcycle would be referred to as motorcycle-wala. Or, someone with a topi (that is a hat!) would be referred to as Topi-wala. etc etc etc.

"Wale" is the plural of "wala".

Unfortunately, I can't begin to imagine what "sel" is! Nor have I heard of any such rank on a ship.

"Selwar" is what the pyjama that an average Indian girl wears. Od course, at times, men also wear a similar garment.

ooroo

Whatever you do will be insignificant,
but it is very important that you do it.

Mahatma Gandhi.