[BITList] Rules Of A Barby

Malcolm malcena2 at uwclub.net
Thu Nov 7 19:20:05 GMT 2013

After  looking the message  Rules Of A Barby. It made me think of how we run
parties in Spain. The pan dictated how many guests could attend, 14.

After we had been in Spain 2 years we had made a few friends and co lieges
and we went to their barbys we also watched a lot of Spanish TV especially
cooking programs to help our Spanish ( Sounds pathetic doesn't it) and we
realised that on Sundays Spanish friends and relatives got together and the
man of the house made a paella lunch washed down with a lot of red wine. So
I decided that I would like to do the Spanish thing and let every body else
carry on with their barbys.

We bought all the gear eg A 30" paella pan. A gas ring to suit the pan. A
stand to hold it, and hand tools to make the paella. I had copied  lots of
notes now off the TV cooks and thought that I was ready to buy the
ingredients and invited two couples who we had known the longest in Spain.
The day before the big day we went to the supermarket and bought 2 fresh
chickens chopped for Paellas, 1 kilo of pork 1 kilo bag of rice (Grown in
Spain just for Paellas) 2 different beans, red and green peppers, tin of
chopped tomatoes, fresh tomatoes to make it look pretty. We already had in
the various spices the garlic and the olive oil and two crates of red wine.
Ena bought all the things to make the starters and sweets. She also sorted
all the chicken pieces out taking the skin off and all the bits that she did
not like the look off. This was boiled for a few hours strained to make a
good stock. Then her puddings were made and the 2 French sticks of bread
were cut and covered in garlic butter and wrapped in foil. That night we
went to bed hoping that all this work was going to be worth it.

Well it all did go well and for the rest of our time we made Paellas in our
apartment, in most of our friends, and some of them  were Spanish. We got
that known for them we were asked to make them for people that we really did
not know but it was all good fun and has given us a lot of beautiful
memories to keep.

Malcolm.