[BITList] How's this for idiocy

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Fri May 24 16:41:28 BST 2013

True story.

At a meeting the other day I got into conversation with a fellow.  We talked of this and that, then he related how it was he didn't take a certain job, join a certain group, whatever.  He turned up for an interview and after the usual chat he was told he had a Police record, indeed, he had been convicted of reset, so why hadn't he told them of this up front?  "What the &%£*'s reset?" he asked, while collecting his thoughts.  "You found an item and kept it," they explained.  "And when did this happen?" he asked.  "1952," he was told.  "I was born in 1951, he said, "so I would have been at most 2 years old in 1952."  "Your brother was convicted at the same time," was the response.  "He would have been 3," he told them, "so what the %^$£ is this about?"  It transpired he and his brother had been in the company of other similarly aged youngsters, and one of them came across a pound note on the pavement. This raised the possibility of unlimited sweets, so they hied it for the nearest sweetie shop, where the lady behind the counter did her civic duty and called the police.  Names were taken and parents were called, and so on. He told them to stuff themselves and walked out.