[BITList] Fwd: Kenny Ball - Telegraph

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Thu Mar 7 19:31:42 GMT 2013

Mike,

Much regretted, and another one for the heavenly band. I first heard Ball on
radio when he was with Sid Phillips, and the only time I saw him was when he
played a packed out gig in a Community Centre in Greenock. The article lists
most of the great and the good in the trad jazz world of that period. While
it is true that the music became commercially successful in the late 50s, my
friends and I were into it from the late 40s, mostly via US bands. At first,
with us, the thought of a white band being any good was just not on - Bix
Beiderbeck excepted. Snobs, I suppose, but that's the way we were. When Ken
Colyer visited New Orleans he gained a good deal of cred with us. I remember
a bearded, hairy sweatered chap (not me) standing up and shouting "Rubbish!"
at a Lyttleton concert in the old St Andrews Hall, Glasgow. He was incensed
at the inclusion of Bruce Turner on tenor sax. Tenor saxes were not
mentioned in HolyWrit.