[BITList] Fwd: Ten-year-old faces court action after sick attack ongoose in Newsham Park - Liverpool Local News - News - Liverpool Echo

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Tue Mar 5 10:00:42 GMT 2013

Mike,

As you say, where are we going?  I note with interest that a man detained
the little thugs until the police arrived, and that they didn't question him
or threaten him with arrest. This highlights a difference between English
and Scots law. Our church was attracting vandals who sported themselves on
the sloping roof, sliding down it. One day the minister collared a couple of
them and detained them till the police arrived. They  were more interested
in the fact he had detained them than the reason for detaining them.  They
"let him off" with a warning. As far as I recall, bugger all was done to the
vandals.  In Scots law there is no such thing as "citizen's arrest". This
was made clear to me by the more senior of two policemen who had reponded to
a call I'd made about a matter. I'd muttered to them that the next time so
an so did such and such I'd have him. Away they went to deliver a warning to
the person, but the junior of the two came back. "We're not having this
conversation, OK? Don't hit the bastard too hard, and make sure you've got a
witness." Upon which he departed.