[BITList] YouTube

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Tue Mar 5 09:47:03 GMT 2013

Mike,

OK - lots about some massive cock on page 3 or something, but.... ?Does the lady envisage an ordinary plug cock, possibly T-ported, or a double gland cock (straight through) for overboard or boiler blowdown application? I vividly recall being under the plates on Dilwara, hell bent on repacking such a cock taking SW from a sea inlet box. "Ahah," I said to it, "You may not be all that gigantic, but having as you do a double gland, I may safely remove the top gland and proceed with the overhaul." Thus emboldened, I removed the top gland. Fortunately, I had placed the nuts close to hand in a safe place, for the plug rose on a fountain of water and smote me between the eyes, causing me no little discomfiture.  "You rotten bastard," I said to it, when I'd recovered my dignity, "You've only a single gland, contrary to all the known rules."

I replaced the gland and found the nuts.