[BITList] Tall ships set sail for Tassie

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Sat Jun 22 00:04:22 BST 2013

Tall ships set sail for Tassie - DUNCAN ABEY - June 22, 2013 12.01am

OCEAN CROSSING: The bark Europa, in the foreground -- one of the three Dutch tall ships heading to Hobart. Picture: NEUZA AIRES PEREIRA

THREE Dutch tall ships that will make a spectacular entrance into Hobart during September have set sail from Mauritius on a six-week passage across the Indian Ocean.

The Tecla, Oosterschelde and Europa, which are sailing to Australia for the 2013 International Tall Ship Festival, will spend six days in Hobart from September 20.

Among the international crew are several Australians, including Fran Taylor of Perth, Western Australian.

"Since departing Cape Town we have had some magic sailing, with glorious sunsets, sunrises, stars by the million and not too much rocking and rolling on board," Ms Taylor said.

"We have had nine different nationalities on board, ranging in age from 20-ish to 70-something.

"We will hit the Indian Ocean proper on our way home to Fremantle. We're hoping for a bit of the Roaring Forties, but perhaps not too far south into them."

The ships drop anchor at Fremantle on July 26.

Their three-month Australian program includes Adelaide, Melbourne, Hobart and Sydney, culminating in the Royal Australian Navy International Fleet Review and Sydney Auckland Tall Ship Regatta.

duncan.abey at news.com.au