[BITList] German Super Brain

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Wed Jun 19 01:19:06 BST 2013

G'day Hugh,

On 18/06/2013, at 18:24 PM, HUGH <chakdara at btinternet.com> wrote:

> The hard bit in these mental calculations is retaining the intermediate results calculated. The calculation itself is easy enough and often involves shortcuts. For instance, squaring a number mentally uses a routine that varies according to the number of digits in the number, and the result comes out in reverse.  Basic arithmetic and a very good memory for the carry overs are all that's needed.  I've an excellent memory, but not for the carry overs - I'm hit and miss with 3-digits, and usually fail with 4-digits.  I've never tried five.

It is well known that short term memory, in terms of the number of 'items' it can hold, is fixed for humans. In my case I have known for years that mine is 7.

In Australia, not counting the State prefix, the number of digits in a telephone number is 8. I know that if someone asks me to write down their number that I have to reach for a pencil and paper. I am unable to hold an unfamiliar phone number. Yes, I do know the phone numbers of my son and daughters, but when reaching for the phone I am drawing the number from my LTM not my STM.

In Townsville the first 2 digits are the same 47, so I only have to remember the last 6. No need to write them down! The brain works out the easiest way to carry out tasks!