[BITList] fiddling

x50type x50type at cox.net
Mon Jun 17 04:17:21 BST 2013

interesting point, frank

Macs - generally there is nothing to fiddle with – so instead of wasting hours trying to get the thing running how you think it should [like on a pc] , you have no excuse not to produce!

however, using apple’s program to make a video just made me tear my hair out with frustration.

and don’t get me started with iTunes........................

Incidentally, I can’t even guess how many hours, days, weeks, maybe months I have spent trying to get my pc to run as it is supposed to  - I have been dabbling since around about 1980; in those days there was no disk operating system, no hard drive and a 9” monochrome monitor was $850.
The big break through in the US came in 1981, just before Christmas when IBM had a deal for their personal computer, it could be financed for around $2000.
No programs though – you had to write your own with the help of a large ring binder of instructions.

At that time there was no internet for home users.

The IBM Personal Computer ("PC") was not as powerful as many of the other personal computers it was competing against at the time of its release. The simplest configuration has only 16K on-board RAM and uses an audio cassette to load and save data - the floppy drive was optional, and a hard drive was not supported.

A basic system for home use attaches to an audio tape cassette player and a television set (that means no floppy drives or video monitor) sold for approximately $1,565. PC-DOS, the operating system, was not available on cassette, so this basic system is only capable of running the Microsoft BASIC programming language, which is built-in and included with every PC.

A more typical system for home or school with a memory of 64K bytes, a single diskette drive and its own display, was priced around $3,000.

ct