[BITList] corrections 1st Hindu-American Congresswoman to Take Oath on Gita

x50type x50type at cox.net
Tue Jul 23 17:23:32 BST 2013

corrections

ct

From: x50type
Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 10:08 AM
To: BitList
Subject: Re: [BITList] 1st Hindu-American Congresswoman to Take Oath on Gita

Hugh,

Yes, everyone is lumbered with a religious/ethic ethnic description.

The reason is that Americans have an inferiority complex – hence all the encouragement they constantly need.
I notice all the time they cry, “we are the best country in the world, God’s own country, the envy of the world, we Americans are wonderful, God bless America,
the best army, navy, air force the world has ever known, land of the free”, etc. Not to mention the flag waving, the flamboyant uniforms and they their love of guns.  Would a mature, confident society need to be armed to the teeth?
Endless rah, rah, rah and cheer leading, exhorting the population to believe they are superior.
Every state is always declared, ‘the great state of.................”. I have never seen all this rah, rah, rah in Britain. I have never heard ‘the great county of Somerset, the great county of Northumberland, the great county of Fife, the great county of Caithness, the great county of Monmouthshire, the great county of Pembrokeshire, the great county of Antrim, the great county of Tyrone.”

To sublimate American’s innate inferiority, they feel more secure when they take on a group appellation and belong to a the group. ie Hindu-American, African-American, Irish-American, Greek-American; safety in numbers – no one is just an American. I think the only group who do does not have such a name is the English-American.
Americans are suspicious of English folk living in their midst, they generally feel inferior to them because the English are generally considered snobbish; simply because they are not as loud-mouthed and uncouth as the natives [they know how to use a knife and fork together – wow], not to mention the funny English they speak – almost Shakespearean. For example, I have been in situations with white natives in this area who simply blank me out when they here hear my English accent – I no longer exist to them! That’s how inferior they feel in my august presence. NB This does not apply to African Americans.
As a consequence the English here [except me] assimilate with amazing speed and dump their English accent asap. Some do this quite successfully but others speak with a pseudo American accent which is painful to my ears; it’s neither one thing nor t’other.

Incidentally Scots and Irish are highly regarded, the Welsh they have never heard of!

The original band of 102 misfits who arrived on the Mayflower from England in 1620 have their own society whose members no doubt look upon themselves as the true Americans; about 10% of the present US population are descendants of the original Mayflower passengers.

ct