[BITList] Electricians vs Instruments-usual banter

FS franka at iinet.net.au
Sun Jul 7 11:07:07 BST 2013

Hi John;
When I did my time (HM Dockyard Portsmouth) the only instrument (makers)
fitters we had repaired Chronometers, Sextants, and Various Gages. When
Logic first started we used to breadboard the circuits using individual
Nand gates and a rats nest of jumpers to make up the required control
circuits the modern PLCs are a dream in comparison not quite sure how
some things got syphoned off , at Alcoa we had a collection of ex cycle
and typewriter repairers plus some ex ICI (Instrument Fitters and or
Makers) working on mainly Pneumatic controls all PLCs and control
circuits were designed and looked after by the elec. dept , after a
couple of Foxbo courses I ended up as a Member of the "Institute of
Instrument Control and Automation) but after joining the oilfield I let
it lapse not being around to go to any of the pissups disguised as
meetings.
frank

  Where was this when I was an Instrument Fitter! Frank, are you there?
:-) Pity about the language though.