[BITList] Nola watch

X50type x50type at cox.net
Wed Jan 23 09:14:36 GMT 2013

We all know of the jazz heritage of New Orleans and perhaps the great food to be had here - greatly exaggerated IMHO, but there is another, darker side to the "big easy".
Did you know the former mayor has just been indicted on corruption charges and four of his staff have already been jailed.
The former senator for New Orleans is in jail for 13 years. His brother, sister and other staff are also in jail all on corruption charges.
The former parish president has pled guilty to bribery and is awaiting sentencing whilst 4 of his staff and his wife have already been jailed or are awaiting jail.
The former governor of this great state has just finished a 10 year sentence for racketeering.
Never a dull moment for the FBI and department of justice.
Another thing I didn't know -- Louisiana is the world's prison capital. The state imprisons more of its people per head than any of its US counterparts. First among Americans means first in the world. Louisiana's incarceration rate is five times Iran's, 13 times china's and 20 times Germany's!

All this and jazz too. It will soon be Mardi gras too --  oh, boy.

Ct

PS.  Oh, forgot to mention - 6 locals were shot over the weekend and there were 4 fatal road accidents in the area

Sent from my iPad3