[BITList] icLiverpool - Liverpool's Blue Plaques

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Tue Jan 8 10:44:10 GMT 2013

John,

Indeed a world beater. How many fights and bruises and sendings off happened before Mr Brodie thought on the goal net?  When I was just a bit younger than I am now, we played football with a tennis ball, and jackets did as goalposts. More time was spent arguing about was it a goal or wasn't it a goal than was spent playing the game. In many cases, the only difference it made was whether the score was 23-14 or 23-15. With cricket, the disputes mostly didn't arise. Not having stumps, we chalked them on a wall and wetted the ball. This reduced disputes to a manageable number.

I recall a didpute that the goal net almost didn't resolve. Greenock Morton had a full back, Andy Fyfe, built like a tank. He took a penalty in one match.  Though it was seen to go between the posts, it ended up outside the net. Consternation reigned and many hands were waved in anger until the ref found the hole. The ball had burst the net.