[BITList] The end for the blue plaque?

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Mon Jan 7 11:44:47 GMT 2013

John,

Unless I've got the wrong end of the stick, English Heritage only place these plaques in London, which would suggest (if true) that everyone who has never lived there, no matter how famous, is excluded. With the exception of Sherlock Holmes and his ilk, of course.  I can't find evidence of Scottish Heritage erecting commemorative plaques, but when such an action was politically a hot potato, Glasgow took the brave step of calling square after Nelson Mandela, with a temporary sign.  Now the sign is permanent, like the red traffic cones (2) on the head of the Duke of Wellington in front of the Gallery of Modern Art.