[BITList] Bulbous Bows

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Wed Jan 2 09:51:30 GMT 2013

Mike,

Getting shot of the bulbous bow started early with Maersk. When I was with the Odense Staalskibsvaerft in the mid 60s, the bulbous bow dropped off, or otherwise disappeared from, a tanker not long since delivered to that company. A poster appeared on the office notice board, offering a reward to the finder.  I did the sketch and wrote the script for it, and Henning Jensen translated it to Danish.  I'm sure it's somewhere in my files.

I'm not at all sure about why a feature introduced to save fuel must now be removed to save fuel.