[BITList] A Nation in Crisis

wantok at me.com wantok at me.com
Tue Jan 1 04:23:52 GMT 2013

An open letter to the Government of India…

Sir,

I have been watching the recent news and the interviews on NDTV in the wake of the terrible tragedy, sitting in a far away land across the seas, more in dismay rather than in anger. Seeing the lack of candour and the utter inability to articulate their thoughts, I was left wondering how a host of inept politicians belong to the same ancient land of wisdom, that gave the world the Vedas, the Upanishads, the Advaita Vedanta to mankind and the concepts of ‘zero’ &  ‘prime numbers’ to the world of mathematics.  India’s appalling state of affairs and the complete collapse of law & social order are being flashed around the world media, making even the Secretary General of the United Nations, Ban Ki Moon, break away from protocol to make the comments that he did. Perhaps, India has forgotten how to be ashamed of herself anymore.

Since independence, when I was a mere baby in a cradle, India has almost entirely been ruled by the Nehru-Gandhi dynasty that has presided over a society degenerating to its present shameful state. This ‘family business’, currently being fronted by a decrepit, bumbling old man, bereft of any leadership and communications skills. The administration has been scaling the depth of incompetence, depravity, lack of vision that defies belief. Listening to the comments made recently by some politicians from West Bengal in relation to the sad demise of this brave, innocent young woman, I was baffled to see that they are also sons and daughters of the same land of Bengal, which once produced Sir. Jagadish Bose, Acharya Prafulla Chandra Roy, Ishwar Chandra Bidyasagar, Sir. Brojendra Nath Seal, Sri. Arabindo Ghosh, Michael Madhusudan Datta, Swami Vivekananda, Thakur Sree Ramakrishna, Kaji Nazrul Islam, and the last, but by no means the least, Gurudeb Ranbindra Nath Thakur.

Career politicians and the corrupt, incompetent buffoons, now occupying the Indian political stage, have been making vacuous speeches, targeted to their ‘vote banks’, whilst dowsing the populous with the constant diet of cricket and dazzling them with the gyrating hips of semi naked Bollywood stars in the name of democracy. Successive administrations by all parties in Delhi and in the States have been showing utter disregard for the Rule of Law and as a result, they lost all credibility in the eyes of their electorate. They are a living example of the famous comment by George Bernard Shaw, “Politics is the last resort of the scoundrel”.

And today, the poor, the unemployed and the disaffected youth, pumping with testosterone, running around rudderless, killing their brothers and raping their sisters. They appear to know the price of everything, but the value of nothing.

Many of these politicians have read lots of books at colleges and universities and have gained paper qualifications; but they appear not to have gained wisdom, which is sad. They display their lamentable ignorance and crass judgement in their speeches, debates and public pronouncements every day. Back in 1811, the French philosopher, Joseph de Maistre, said, “A nation gets a government it deserves”, but as I approach the final chapter of my life, I pray that God give my dear motherland a leadership with courage, morals, vision and fortitude to lift her out of the mire, in which she finds herself today.

Yours faithfully,

Prasun Chakraverty. MBE

Caversham. RG4 6QL

United Kingdom

cc. His Excellency The High Commissioner for India.

India House. London WC2