[BITList] Father of the Bride Gives a Speech

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Fri Feb 22 17:11:51 GMT 2013

John,

A fine speech, nicely flavoured with humour, but was that the father-of-the-brides's speech within the meaning of the Act? Is there a standard routine, hallowed  of old, etc, for US weddings? I saw a video of one in which the bride (my brother-in-law's niece) gave a speech from a lectern, holding a file of notes. In fairness, I am beginning to fear being invited to Scottish weddings.  In a recent one, less than 2 years ago, our niece got married to the man she is now divorcing.  The bride's father made a decent short speech, then the groom stood up and talked for 15 minutes, giving fulsome thanks to half the world, followed by jokes to the applause of his cronies in what he clearly thought was the audience. His mother eventually got his attention and drew her hand across her throat, at which he sat down. The best man gave a longer and almost identical speech, also pitched to the claque in the audience. Nobody proposed the health of the bride and groom (the groom's father's reason for being on his feet), or the bridesmaids (ditto the best man). After a brief lull, they cut the cake away in a far corner while the audience were still seated all over the place awaiting developments.  Clearly anything goes nowadays.

Hugh