[BITList] Coast Guard: Cruise ship fire started withleakingfuel-oil line

x50type at cox.net x50type at cox.net
Tue Feb 19 01:49:47 GMT 2013

Hugh

it is not clear where the fuel pipes were in relation to the engine exhausts, nor is it clear why the other engine room was affected.
we will just have to wait a year until those concerned find out – although the ‘ignition marks’ can be seen on the wall; and that from a senior marine investigator............................ WTF!
however, perusal of the list of surveyors accredited to the Bahamian maritime authority in the gulf area will indicate they are not engineers.

ct

New York (CNN) -- Investigators know roughly where the flames erupted in the engine room of the Carnival Triumph, but it could be a year before they learn what caused the fire, which left the massive ship adrift for days in the Gulf of Mexico.

"We know that the fire originated in front of a generator," Patrick Cuty, a senior marine investigator for the U.S. Coast Guard, told CNN on Sunday.

"You can see the ignition marks on the wall."

There are three generators in the engine room where the fire broke out. Three other generators are in a second engine room that wasn't involved in the fire, Cuty said.

Because the Carnival Triumph is a Bahamian flagged vessel, the Bahamas Maritime Authority is the primary investigative agency. In accordance with international guidelines, the U.S. will participate in this investigation as a Marine Safety Investigative State.

Like most modern cruise ships, Carnival Triumph has a diesel-electric propulsion system in which the main generators provide electricity for all shipboard consumers from propulsion motors to hotel systems such as air conditioning and lighting. Her power plant consists of six diesel generating sets, four 16-cylinder Wärtsilä-Sulzer 16ZAV40S and two 12-cylinder 12ZAV40S medium-speed diesel engines. Her two 17.6-megawatt electric propulsion motors and controllable pitch propellers give the ship a maximum speed of 22.5 knots (41.7 km/h; 25.9 mph) and a service speed of about 20 knots (37 km/h; 23 mph). For maneuvering at ports, Carnival Triumph has six transverse thrusters.[6][7]