[BITList] Fwd: Thomson Majesty Accident – Five Crew Killed During Lifeboat Drill on Cruise Ship [UPDATE 2] | gCaptain - Maritime & Offshore News

M.j. Feltham ismay at mjfeltham.plus.com
Tue Feb 12 11:12:32 GMT 2013

During my time with Denholms, a similar accident happened on a ship I was sailing on, fortunately there was no body in the boat.  It was lying outboard following Boat Stations and was to be hoisted a couple of hours later as the deck crew were using the compressed air for scaling the decks.

The boat ended up hanging off one davit.  The ship was stopped and the boat was hoisted aboard by derrick,  the davit that was carrying the weight of the vertical boat was twisted and we recd permission from L.R. in Port Said to proceed with the lifeboat lashed into the stowage position between the two davits, until we got back to Europe, where the davit was removed and straightened.  The wire for this boat was due to be renewed as we went South through the Suez Canal three days later !

Mike

P.S.  I always lowered lifeboats with no one in them during practices, the stats are terrible !