[BITList] The way to do it

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Sun Dec 29 23:02:29 GMT 2013

G’day Hugh,

On 29 Dec 2013, at 19:47 pm, HUGH <chakdara at btinternet.com> wrote:

<<That made me feel better, though in the early 50s I did fire up my old Royal
Enfield Model G to ride 300 yards up the hill to buy the Melody Maker.>>

<< The young do tend to think us ignorant and incapable of appreciating the
benefits of present day life. After I left the MN I worked in Ferguson's
shipyard in Port Glasgow here, 1961. The Engine DO was small - chief
draughtsman; four senior draughtsmen; two junior draughtsmen; one tracer.
They built a lot of vessels of all types.  Later, in the late 70s, I was
loaned out to them from Scotts to help progress some vessels, and I found
myself in a familar room. It was the old Engine DO, now become the Print
Room with a photo copier, etc.  I mentioned to the spotty faced youth
waiting his turn at the copier that this small space used to be the Engine
DO. "Ah," he said, before imparting some hard won wisdom to me, "Ships are
more complicated nowadays.  More staff is needed."  I was grateful for that
morsel. >>

Hugh, it was ever thus.

I have installed a new tag line. They come up randomly for me!

ooroo

I was taught to respect my elders, but its getting harder and harder for me to find one.