[BITList] Fwd: Cable Penetrations Almost Did In The EMMA MAERSK | gCaptain âs" Maritime & Offshore News

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sun Dec 22 11:01:56 GMT 2013

Mike,

I read: " .... non-effective cable penetration sealings and some undesirable
properties of the bilge system and the emergency bilge suction from the
engine room."

Every cable penetration seal in an ER (not what we called them, but never
mind) I recall was contained in a structure with clamps. They didn't leak.
When I sat my 2nd's Orals, Mr Slater refrained from asking me about
undesirable properties of bilge systems, and I didn't bone up on them, so
what are they?

A ship is built to Classification Rules, or it is not - the Rules permit no
experimentation with undesirable properties. So was the Emma Maersk buggered
about after she was delivered?