[BITList] the same internet search yields two different results -- 12/18/13

FA franka at iinet.net.au
Wed Dec 18 10:15:16 GMT 2013

Thought others might find the attached interesting
frank

*
Join Our Mailing List
<http://visitor.r20.constantcontact.com/manage/optin/ea?v=001k2WZ9BVVGwu8TsGNmgiiFA%3D%3D>
	Like us on Facebook
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001dj0zYb9R0uJuhk63GmhuOZ22qd41Quqi1HA0fTMSl1o2Goq0Z2k8-zyl4CxsP14g6VnELZ0daWuhmVPKxXMRCBWUW0JuXbz6HiMNCbZEOiY-RWSeh6SFZz5Lvrs_EDtLrRSNOsQzTd2OsX0rLItvSSWIhNDZ36Wr-k4SsWiKp33i750Rk8f5sigdpD2sBRTu>
Follow us on Twitter
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001dj0zYb9R0uLKdO20JxRVG3SdmK_uV6SrdjDm-4BAeG8-ZFWetW0ybTmtCcQJoB1MKsLIG2duKkmRoLe-Ha7qwcHZc64q2BbHntRhPXP936SLuaSgnDzokrHhl9KCQXvm51Ua-1l5i5k=>

*

delanceyplace header
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001dj0zYb9R0uJgdyoEd43nW0LyH5_EbvT6O7pEJGfNcUH12XbEIIeNIOtYhA-mriLTduLAm6HN82wWvKIqvHxGcAB3zslDkR2IamcuSRbWkksj2o6N9tdjd8hfvbTDem8LFqE_btLoniqWEqS45L7J4P87GH-0-eF73OUWbrpGFLeI2yBOvS6zV-rlf9isl7PMBbojWy7r0NMaTjCO3EX-OR41U3e_8UeuV1sLtEa_UAA8fPd1pWcv_MBbBjHQ4BzTfnRElUy-09QAbNiH5RaX9A==>

In today's selection -- from The /Filter Bubble /by Eli Pariser. Because
of the personalization of the internet, an internet search of the same
term by two different people will often bring very different results. We
are each increasingly being served not only ads for what we are more
likely to want, but also news and information that is familiar and
confirms our beliefs. The issue is that we are increasingly unaware of
what is being filtered out and why -- leaving us each more and more in
our own unique and self-reinforcing information bubble. Author Eli
Pariser calls this "the filter bubble" -- and it is leaving less room
for encounters with unexpected ideas:

"Most of us assume that when we 'google' a term, we all see the same
results -- the ones that the company's famous Page Rank algorithm
suggests are the most authoritative based on other pages' links. But
since December 2009, this is no longer true. Now you get the result that
Google's algorithm suggests is best for you in particular -- and someone
else may see something entirely different. In other words, there is no
standard Google anymore.

"It's not hard to see this difference in action. In the spring of 2010,
while the remains of the Deepwater Horizon oil rig were spewing crude
oil into the Gulf of Mexico, I asked two friends to search for the term
'BP.' They're pretty similar -- educated white left-leaning women who
live in the Northeast. But the results they saw were quite different.
One of my friends saw investment information about BP. The other saw
news. For one, the first page of results contained links about the oil
spill; for the other, there was nothing about it except for a
promotional ad from BP.

"Even the number of results returned by Google differed -- about 180
million results for one friend and 139 million for the other. If the
results were that different for these two progressive East Coast women,
imagine how different they would be for my friends and, say, an elderly
Republican in Texas (or, for that matter, a businessman in Japan).

"With Google personalized for everyone, the query 'stem cells' might
produce diametrically opposed results for scientists who support stem
cell research and activists who oppose it. 'Proof of climate change'
might turn up different results for an environmental activist and an oil
company executive. In polls, a huge majority of us assume search engines
are unbiased. But that may be just because they're increasingly biased
to share our own views. More and more, your computer monitor is a kind
of one-way mirror, reflecting your own interests while algorithmic
observers watch what you click. ...

"For a time, it seemed that the Internet was going to entirely
redemocratize society. Bloggers and citizen journalists would
single-handedly rebuild the public media. Politicians would be able to
run only with a broad base of support from small, everyday donors. Local
governments would become more transparent and accountable to their
citizens. And yet the era of civic connection I dreamed about hasn't
come. Democracy requires citizens to see things from one another's point
of view, but instead we're more and more enclosed in our own bubbles.
Democracy requires a reliance on shared facts; instead we're being
offered parallel but separate universes.

"My sense of unease crystallized when I noticed that my conservative
friends had disappeared from my Facebook page. Politically, I lean to
the left, but I like to hear what conservatives are thinking, and I've
gone out of my way to befriend a few and add them as Facebook
connections. I wanted to see what links they'd post, read their
comments, and learn a bit from them.

Eli Pariser: Beware online
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001dj0zYb9R0uIc0de8SzYRkf65cEp_S6ixhrCtaLpo29vn6CJ9KhmcSs_6rUo2E4a0aUA608QUoVbxKYMqvW2B1aqoL5jT9tN4x2B9GUE4GqH5RyG2oPiWDFI9ZqjbdCXNMd9oVEEsxFfdbZsIKpgp4w==>

*Eli Pariser: Beware online "filter bubbles"*

"But their links never turned up in my Top News feed. Facebook was
apparently doing the math and noticing that I was still clicking my
progressive friends' links more than my conservative friends' -- and
links to the latest Lady Gaga videos more than either. So no
conservative links for me.

"I started doing some research, trying to understand how Facebook was
deciding what to show me and what to hide. As it turned out, Facebook
wasn't alone.

"With little notice or fanfare, the digital world is fundamentally
changing. What was once an anonymous medium where anyone could be anyone
-- where, in the words of the famous New Yorker cartoon, nobody knows
you're a dog -- is now a tool for soliciting and analyzing our personal
data. According to one Wall Street Journal study, the top fifty Internet
sites, from CNN to Yahoo to MSN, install an average of 64 data-laden
cookies and personal tracking beacons each. Search for a word like
'depression' on Dictionary. com, and the site [automatically collects
and stores information about your computer or mobile device and your
activities] so that other Web sites can target you with antidepressants.
Share an article about cooking on ABC News, and you may be chased around
the Web by ads for Teflon-coated pots. Open -- even for an instant -- a
page listing signs that your spouse may be cheating and prepare to be
haunted with DNA paternity-test ads. The new Internet doesn't just know
you're a dog; it knows your breed and wants to sell you a bowl of
premium kibble."