[BITList] Old eBay trick

M.j. Feltham ismay at mjfeltham.plus.com
Thu Dec 5 22:28:23 GMT 2013

Teenage dad buys PHOTO of Xbox One on eBay for £450
A 19-year-old father of one was left red-faced after forking out £450 for a printed photo of an Xbox One after falling for an old eBay trick.

Peter Clatworthy, 19, claimed he was buying the console for his four-year-old son, stating that he had scrimped and saved for months for the product. He thought he had landed a bargain when he purchased the much sought-after games console from eBay on November 28th, but alas, he was duped.

Clatworthy, who is still a student too (we thought they could barely afford tuition fees, not toddlers and new games consoles too?) from Nottingham, said: “It came in a brown envelope, when the postman gave it to me I kept asking him if he was sure this package was for me and he kept saying it was.”

“As soon as I knew it was for me I realised it was a con, I pulled out a crumbled piece of A4 paper with a pretty bad picture of an Xbox One probably taken from Google.

“I was shocked but then I thought, I only have myself to blame because it does say the word ‘photo’ on the ad.

“I spoke to eBay straight away and asked for a refund, I e-mailed the seller and he told me it was a console – so he did lie to me.”

To add insult to injury, on the back of the grainy picture was a note that read, ‘thank you for your purchase’.

A spokesman for eBay said: “We don’t allow listings which mislead, and will take action against this seller. Customers can shop with confidence on eBay as we guarantee you will get your item or your money back.

“Mr Clatworthy is covered by the eBay money-back guarantee and we will be contacting him to put things right.”

Tessa Coates, Trading Standards Officer at Nottinghamshire County Council, said: “We are not aware of an eBay scam of this nature. However, we would encourage all eBay buyers to pay for their goods using PayPal to give them extra protection.

“PayPal states that if the item doesn’t match the seller’s description or gets lost in the post then it will give the buyer their money back. Our main tips for buying online generally this Christmas is make sure you’re getting a good deal, know who you’re dealing with and protect your personal and financial information.”

The post Teenage dad buys PHOTO of Xbox One on eBay for £450 appeared first on Trending Central.

Au