[BITList] More on - Finding Merchant Seamen - resources Pt. 1

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Wed Aug 28 16:49:37 BST 2013

From another Likst…

Here is an initial list of resources for finding British merchant ships,
their crews,  accounts of voyages, etc.

Kew - these are truly excellent but long and I must admit I have not
finished listening to either of them:

http://media.nationalarchives.gov.uk/index.php/merchant-navy-service-records

Note:
The British Merchant Marine was not known as the Merchant Navy until WW1
when the King gave it this honoury title because of the considerable
contribution made by these civilians.
Merchant Seamen were entitled to the same military decorations as the Royal
Navy, up to and including the VC

There is no rank of Captain in the British Merchant Service.  The senior
deck officer, who is in command of the ship, and also the Owners
Representative, was, and legally still is, the Master. The title Captain is
an honoury title granted by the Royal Navy during WW1 to all Masters of
British ships.

The CLIP project for which I did some transcription, and which is an ongoing
project:
http://www.crewlist.org.uk/
to find a ship by name:
http://www.crewlist.org.uk/data/vesselsalpha.php

There are several more finding aids at CLIP which may be worth exploring.

Original documents including crew lists, etc:
Newfoundland archives
http://www.mun.ca/mha/index.php
Ship records finder, using her Official Number
http://www.mun.ca/mha/holdings/searchcombinedcrews.php
note at top of page of known ship in red an explanation of the 'Tupes of
Agreements and Accounts' which should be looked at if you find something
useful.

For ships that may have visited the U.S. between 1857-1900 (always worth
checking):
http://library.mysticseaport.org/initiative/VMSearch.cfm

Lloyds Lists (some can be found by googling (books)
http://www.mariners-l.co.uk/ResLloydsList.html
http://www.mariners-l.co.uk/ResLloydsLocations.html
http://www.maritimearchives.co.uk/lloyds-list.html
http://www.plimsollshipdata.org/  This site is also searchable for WRECKS
Captains:  http://www.mariners-l.co.uk/ResLloydsCaptains.html

Merchant Navy Lists (again, some can be freely downloaded by googling
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~j_lowe/C3TheMNL.htm
http://www.rmg.co.uk/researchers/library/research-guides/the-merchant-navy/r
esearch-guide-c6-the-merchant-navy-the-mercantile-navy-list
http://www.rmg.co.uk/researchers/library/research-guides/the-merchant-navy/r
esearch-guide-c12-the-merchant-navy-ship-registration-and-custom-house-recor
ds
http://www.maritimearchives.co.uk/mercantile-navy-list.html
http://www.plimsoll.org/RegistersAndRecords/OfficialSources/default.asp

Miscellaneous
http://www.dft.gov.uk/mca/
https://familysearch.org/catalog/search   try entering ship's name

More to follow in Resouces, Part 2
(must go to the dentist first)
Chris

Good Afternoon Chris

I have been watching with great interest the marine theme of the recent
posts.

May I ask, do you know of any way I may trace British ships crew members
from 1900 till 1920?  Both my grandfather, Frederick George Hillyard and
his brother, Henry Francis Hillyard both served in the merchant navy -
both were born in India but their ships service seems to have been India
but mainly Australia.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.