[BITList] Why I want to have my house connected to the NBN - The National Broadband Network.

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Tue Aug 27 07:26:16 BST 2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB7hYWTnak8

A friend of mine here in Townsville is able to access the NBN at his sister's house.

He works in digital video editing. As you would be aware digital video files are HUGE.

My friend works with a video photographer and edits all the videos that he creates.

The photographer lives in Tasmania.

Recently my friend sent the photographer 40 Gb [40 giga bytes] of video that he had just edited.

To get some idea of what I am talking about, a normal movie DVD contains about 4.7 Gb.

One eight of what my friend sent to Tasmania.

The transfer on the NBN took a mere 20 minutes to send and be received in Tasmania.

You just would not be able to do this at all on the speeds that I am on just now from Telstra.

I am on the top Plan from Telstra. They cannot do any better than this even if I paid them.

Telstra Speed Test.  http://www.ozspeedtest.com

Another Speed test this time with OPTUS.  http://speedtest.syd.optusnet.com.au