[BITList] Engineers?

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Thu Aug 22 06:33:04 BST 2013

From another List….

"Whether or not it is the same "Sir William Peel" caught up in a big fuss
when the US gunboat Seminole captured it in 1863 while in Mexican waters I
don't know, but there is stuff on the net about this.

Extract from a letter from 1863 from US Steamer Seminole about the capture
of the Sir William Peel:  "Among the crew of the Sir William Peel I noticed
several whom I thought were intoxicated; the two engineers I considered most
decidedly drunk, and one fireman was in such a beastly state of intoxication
it was not considered safe to remove him......"

http://www.nytimes.com/1863/10/04/news/breach-of-mexican-neutrality-seizure-of-the-sir-william-peel-in-russian-waters.html