[BITList] Old Ford man - Must read !!!!

FA franka at iinet.net.au
Fri Aug 9 06:55:46 BST 2013

One can but agree with these sentiments would only add that all the time
we let accountants run the country rather than engineers like before its
only going to get worse
frank

*Old Ford man - Must read !!!!*

Today's rant...

*I've got an old mate who spent his working life with the Ford Motor
Company, mainly as a computer programmer, and after the recent
announcement of Ford closure in Australia, I asked what his feelings were.*

Sorry ? Yes - I feel I have been let down, but I am more sorry for
Australia. The problem is not just Ford, it is the whole of Australian
primary and secondary industry.

When I joined the industry in 1960 Australia had the following
Automotive Manufacturers:-

Ford Australia - (Plants in Geelong, Ballarat, Broadmeadows, Sydney, and
Brisbane).

Australian Motor Industries. - (Standard Motor Company and Mercedes
Benz, Rambler, and Fiat tractors, - plants in Melbourne and Sydney)

British Motor Corporation - (Austin, Morris - Plants in Melbourne and
Sydney)

Chrysler Australia- (Plants in Keswick, Mile End and Finsbury,
Continental and General Distributors -(Peugot - plant in Heidelberg
Melbourne) - bought out by Misubishi

Fiat - (tractor assembly at the Pressed Metal Corporation plant in Sydney)

General Motors Holden - ( Plants in Port Melbourne, Dandenong, Adelaide,
and Sydney)

International Harvester- ( Plant in Geelong)

Leyland Motors - (Albion and Scammel , Plants in Melbourne and Sydney)

Renault (Australia) - (assembled by Clyde Industries, Victoria)

Rootes ( Australia) - (Plants at Port Melbourne and Dandenong)

Rover ( Australia) - ( Pressed Metal Corporation Sydney - most of the
land rover was made and assembled in Oz)

Volkswagen (Australia) - (Plant in Clayton Victoria)

Willys Motors (Australia) - (Plant in Rocklea Brisbane)

White Trucks (Brisbane)

There was also another company assembling one of the early Japanese
imports at Kangaroo Point.

Then of course there was our own Repco, a major automotive parts
manufacturer and engine re-builderat that stage, and a company which was
then more than capable of building the first all Australian car.

These were not fly-by-nighters, some of them were in existence as early
as 1914 - one hundred years ago !!

>From that foundation the only one left is GMH, whose very existence as a
manufacturing facility is hanging by a thread.

I have no idea what has happened to all the major parts and machine
suppliers, Duly and Hansford, Bendix, Borg Warner, Pilkingtons Glass,
Zenford, Small, A.C.I, McPhersons, and countless others, all appear to
be dead.

Do you believe that all fourteen of those fifteen major companies were
incapable? Shortly to be fifteen out of fifteen???????

We now have a relative newcomer, Toyota, with a plant in Altona, which
will, in all possibility, be last man standing .

You think the Automotive industry is the only casualty? In the last few
months Australia has also shut down the Shell refineries in Sydney and
Geelong. Don't even worry about the long-dead fasteners, carpet,
textile, shoe, clothing etc. Industries - they are as numerous as prayer
notes in the Wailing Wall.

It's time to ask the hard question, - is something wrong with Australia?

When I left Ford, in round figures it employed 5,000 at the Geelong
site, 6,000 at the Broadmeadows site, 700 in the Sydney plant, and 300
in the Brisbane plant - 12,000 people. That is only the start. Then
there are all the outside contractors directly dependent on the Company,
we used to estimate this conservatively as about another 33% - 4,000. A
straight 16,000 total. Then there is on top of that all the people who
serviced those 16,000 - I have no idea how you calculate that, and it is
a bit nebulous anyway as the 16,000 are still there, just at a lower
level of economic importance.

Itis blatantly obvious that our political system just does not work - I
have been voicing this for the last thirty odd years. I have no idea
what it should be changed to, the basis is sound, but the implementation
leaves a lot to be desired. The political intelligence of the bulk of
the Australian voting public is heading to absolute zero, and our
politicians depend directly on that.

We continue to elect governments time after time on the basis of
platforms of promises to be broken. Promises bordering on lies and
deceit. We elect governments that have financial abilities that would
make Bart Simpson appear genius material. Just take a quick look at
Singapore - about 10% of our population, no natural resources, just
about no industry, and yet they have a large network of underground
trains running every three minutes everywhere - just on a scale basis
alone we should have about ten such systems here in Oz - well at least
one in all the capital cities - that leaves the cost of four of them to
throw in a decent road system between the capitals. As soon as someone
hears that they pop up with "yes ! but look at their social welfare
system !" my answer - exactly - look at it, almost non-existent from the
government, the family is the social security system. I have seen our
system, which is great in principle, abused right left and centre by
those it is meant to protect, what should be a safety net is fast
becoming an albatross around our necks. Come hell or high water that
system has to be returned to the safety net it was intended to be. I
don't know about now, but in Germany it was exactly a safety net and
nothing else - if you were out of work you received a percentage of your
wage for a period of time ( three months? I forget exactly), and then it
took a dive to an "emergency payment" which bought food and not much else.

All the government sponsored gifts for new houses, births, carbon tax
offsets, GFC handouts etc. are not gifts - they are the currency with
which our politicians appear best familiar, in plain English, bribes -
bribes for the next election. Time to cut that nonsense - it should
never have started.

What is happening in Australia is the failure to recognise the concept
of adding value. Build something - make something - repair something -
create something - move something - sell something useful - all add
value and this is the only thing that creates a healthy economic
structure. Add to that the essential services and you are still in
business. Replace that lot with fancy accountants, counsellors,
psychologists, dole bludgers, excessive bureaucrats, excessive
government, teachers who only put in a fraction of the hours of real
workers, and a myriad other similar other sinecure type jobs and you
land right in the proverbial can, just like Oz.

Have you ever thought what happens in the next war? You think there
won't be one? There have been humans fighting humans ever since one
stuck his stone axe in somebody else's skull. You think that is going to
miraculously stop? Go talk to the fairies. What do you think wins wars?
Certainly not bureaucrats, counsellors and psychologists - not even
servicemen alone. It is pure manufacturing muscle - whoever can build
the most missiles, aircraft, bombs, guns etc. and have servicemen to
deliver the intended result to the enemy. That is what wins wars. What
are we going to build them with now? Do we now let our servicemen down
as well?

Have a look back at what Ford Oz built for the last major war. Ford
turned out thousands of those huge army transporters, hundreds of those
huge landing barges, tracked bren-gun carriers, Ford blitzes, Bofors
guns, and no doubt other things that I have either forgotten or never
heard of. The Chrysler plant in Adelaide contributed a similar effort,
largely in the aircraft sector. Who is going to repeat those efforts?
Our recent engineering workforce had the ability to tool up a plant like
Fords and make virtually anything at the drop of a hat. We made all
sorts of odd things that nobody knows about - bits for the aircraft
industry, tooling for carbon fibre parts for the French airbus, tooling
for those huge Boeing tail spars, blocks for Scalzo engines, right down
to microscopic gears for eye surgery instruments. We completed huge
tooling contracts for our 'opposition' in the automotive industry. How
wrong we were - the real opposition were those WE put in charge of our
own country.

Then there are the unseen things - such as the flow of information and
skills from the private sector to the Australian Government excuse for
an armaments factory. Probably all but dead by now, but when I was
active I attended many meetings at the armaments factory, Monash
University, and other venues where engineers from private industry
passed on manufacturing engineering related information. Much of it
gleanedfrom first hand international experience, and much of it our own
experience.

So that is just a small shot at how our politicians have betrayed us and
set Oz up for a right royal shafting. A real enemy could not have done
the job better.

You bet your sweet a*se I'm sorry.

*P. S. I don't care who you pass this on to - I will probably get an
earful from someone who hasn't had his/her feet on the ground for 99% of
his/her next to useless existence, but I can handle that.*