[BITList] Channel 4 News: Right-wing group defiant after Tory MPdisowns them

x50type x50type at cox.net
Fri Aug 9 01:29:34 BST 2013

Wanting folks to return from whence they came is nothing new – been going on since the time folks wondered hither and thither –and will no doubt go on and on and on – it’s what homo sapiens do; fundamentally they are mean bastards.

This was brought home rather starkly to me when I lived in Japan.
Next door to us lived a very nice Israeli family. One night they invited us over. There were perhaps 8 or 10 other Israeli families there, enjoying themselves eating and drinking. Not surprisingly they were all speaking Hebrew, as soon as we walked in everyone immediately started to speak fluent English.
Embarrassment No. 1 – as I did not understand or speak a word of Hebrew.
Not only that, I knew all of them spoke at least 3 languages fluently, one said he spoke 7 languages!

Some one then asked me where I came from, I said I came from a little medieval city in England called York – a place you will have never heard of.
Boy was I in for a shock – they all knew York very well indeed,  and here’s why.............................[every Jew has this in history lessons].

Massacre at York (1190)

  The site of Clifford's Tower, the keep of York's medieval castle, still bears witness to the most horrifying event in the history of English Jewry. On the night of 16 March 1190, the feast of Shabbat ha-Gadol, the small Jewish community of York was gathered together for protection inside the tower. Rather than perish at the hands of the violent mob that awaited them outside, many of the Jews took their own lives; others died in the flames they had lit, and those who finally surrendered were massacred and murdered.

  Understandably, this appalling event has become the most notorious example of anti-Semitism in medieval England. Yet, it was by no means an isolated incident, but rather the culmination of a tide of violent feeling which swept the country in the early part of 1190.
Embarrassment No 2. -- Frankly, I was so appalled I didn’t know what to say or where to look.
Being from York I felt some kind of responsibility for the barbaric behaviour of my fellow citizens in 1190. All I could do was plead ignorance and condemn the York red necks.

I marvel at the stoic patience of Jews considering all they put up with – for thousands of years.

I had absolutely no idea and had never heard of such a tragedy [have you?]. It certainly was not in any of my history lessons and whilst we went to Clifford’s Tower often enough with school, there was no hint of it. I understand there is a plaque there now detailing the massacre.

It was laughed off without any malice or further thought – it was all long ago some one said.

So, hating others - ‘tis the way of the world.

Colin