[BITList] Fwd: 'Big lie' behind the bedroom tax: Familiestrapped with nowhere to move face penalty for having spareroom - UK Politics - UK - The Independent

x50type x50type at cox.net
Tue Aug 6 00:31:12 BST 2013

Being in the colonies I have not heard of a bed room tax – so I researched it.

I do not believe what I see – surely it is a joke!

Whose twisted mind came up with anything as bizarre as this? I don’t think Stalin at his best could not have dreamed of it.

The ‘minister of how-you-will-live’ is telling the folks bed rooms are expected to be shared and how kids will sleep – its unbelievable!

Enuf is Enuf here – bring out the pitch forks.

Or am I mis-interpreting the bedroom tax?
ct

How many bedrooms are you allowed?

The new rules allow one bedroom for each adult or couple. Children under the age of 16 are expected to share, if they are the same gender, and those under 10 are expected to share whatever their gender.

Following a legal challenge, the government said severely disabled children unable to share a room would be exempt - although campaigners say there is still uncertainty about this.

Disabled tenants will be allowed a bedroom for full-time live-in or overnight carers. If a full-time carer is a husband, wife or partner, then they will be expected to share a room. However, they can apply for a discretionary housing payment from their local authority if the disability means the partner needs to sleep in another room.

Discretionary support should remain in place for "priority groups" such as disabled people whose homes have had to be significantly adapted and those with long-term medical conditions which create difficulties in sharing a bedroom.

The number of bedrooms in the property will be determined by the landlord's tenancy agreement, so you cannot claim a bedroom is actually a living room.