[BITList] Fwd: In Need of a New Hip, but Priced Out of the U.S. - NYTimes.com

x50type x50type at cox.net
Sun Aug 4 21:03:27 BST 2013

Mike

according to google "HOW MUCH DOES A KNEE REPLACEMENT COST? MEDICARE
AVERAGE: $13,464."

so your 10300 ukp = $15500 appears to be in line with costs here.

not so surprising because the parts supply is global - who knows where the
parts are made!

How Much Does Hip Replacement Cost?
By Jonathan Cluett, M.D., About.com GuideFebruary 16, 2013

Well, according to a recent survey of hospitals throughout the United
States, many don't know!

And those hospitals that could offer a price, offer from a range of just
over $10,000, to well over $100,000.  So why the discrepancy?

Most hospitals are used to dealing with insurance companies and Medicare,
not consumers.  Most hospitals don't think much about price competition for
services.  Therefore, charges are often arbitrary, and don't make much
sense.

I agree, little makes sense

colin