[BITList] More idiocy

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sun Aug 4 09:28:48 BST 2013

>From Saturday's Herald.

Mr Rhys Barker, of Salford Keys, Greater Manchester, searched online for car insurance (his car cost £1,400), and was quoted £1,165,977.75 by Zenith.  Naturally, he queried that ridiculous figure, and was told he could pay it by instalments of £104,000 a month, though for a slightly higher fee. No details are forthcoming about what happened to the odd 75p.  However, all is not lost, you'll be relieved to read. Gary Humphreys, group underwriting director at Market Study Group, which runs Zenith, clarified the situation, saying: "The price Mr Barker was quoted reflects that we have declined to provide cover, as we would not expect a customer to pay such a high premium."  Oh, goody gumdrops! - comedians running insurance companies.

In the same paper - Lord Fraser of Carmyle has launched a campaign to have a memorial erected in Edinburgh to General Maczek.  The general led the First Polish Armoured Division which, in six days of battle in Normandy around Falaise, routed two SS Corps and helped take 50,000 prisoners. Before that, Maczek led the defence of north east Scotland against the perceived threat of an invasion from Scandinavia.  After WW2 he settled in Edinburgh with his wife and family.  He was refused a military pension in the UK. He died, aged 102, in 1994.