[BITList] Fw: QT: Why should people get £500 a week on welfare? (18Apr13) .

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Wed Apr 24 08:37:28 BST 2013

Colin,

I don't recall where the £850 pw came from - possibly from the fevered imagination of someone in media or govt lacking anything more contentious to lie about. As with you, it and its wee pal £500 are too much for my imagination.  After some mental calculation I can say that my wife and I get by fairly well on a good deal less than £500 pw. The last time I got "benefit" (unemployment) was in 1962, the year I and another were made redundant from Fergusons in Port Glasgow, but I don't sit manufacturing fantasies about those less fortunate - I leave that to the above media and govt.