[BITList] Snowdon media release: LETTER TO THE EDITOR: THIS ANZAC DAY REMEMBER OUR TROOPS-PAST AND PRESENT[DLM=For-Official-Use-Only]

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Wed Apr 24 08:21:08 BST 2013

Minister for Veterans’ Affairs subscription list

Wednesday, 24 April 2013                                                                                                                VA033

LETTER TO THE EDITOR: THIS ANZAC DAY REMEMBER OUR TROOPS—PAST AND PRESENT

Every Anzac Day Australians gather at memorials and cenotaphs in towns and cities across the nation. Standing together, we pay tribute to the servicemen and women who have served our country.

Anzac Day is one of our most important days of national significance. It is a day where we are drawn together to share stories of the Anzac legend—a legend born on the shores of Gallipoli, a legacy created by young men far away from home, in a distant land.

We remember their bravery, gallantry, courage and resilience—qualities that continue to define Australia’s servicemen and women and which still hold strong in our armed forces.

This year, I urge all Australians to not only remember those who have served in wars, conflicts and peacekeeping operations over the past 110 years, but to also spare a thought for those who are continuing the traditions of their predecessors while on deployment in Afghanistan and the Solomon Islands.

In 2013, we are looking towards a withdrawal of our ADF members from Afghanistan. In addition to the physical wounds some of these brave men and women carry, we are also seeing an mental health injuries, such as Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and depression. It is important they, along with their family and friends, know that help is available and that this help will make a difference.

I recently launched a new mental health website At Ease, that provides self-help tools, links to professional support, treatment options, tips on healthy drinking and clinical information for GPs and mental health professionals.

As the dawn rises over your town or city this Anzac Day, take a moment to remember the 102,000 Australians who never made it back to our shores from conflicts and the thousands who continue to serve overseas and at home. It is up to all of us, young and old, to continue the legacy that was given to us all those years ago by the original Anzacs.

May we always keep them in our thoughts.

Lest we forget.

Media inquiries:      Minister Snowdon: 02 6277 7820
Department of Veterans’ Affairs Media: 02 6289 6203

Veterans and Veterans Families Counselling Service (VVCS) and Veterans Line can be reached 24 hours a day across Australia for crisis support and free and confidential counselling. Phone 1800 011 046.