[BITList] Some PUB NAMES IN BRITAIN

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sun Apr 21 18:49:19 BST 2013

John,

Taffy Trott, 3E/O on Chakdara when I was fiver, told the assembled company one evening that in his home town (somewhere in Wales) there was a pub called Dirty Dick's. They changed its name, with a big neon sign, to the Golden Dragon - but people still called it Dirty Dick's.

At The Glen in Port Glasgow, where I was brought up, there were two pubs.  The smaller of the two had various names, and it became the West End Bar for a few years until the whole area was cleared away to make a vacant space. But throughout its life it was Broon's. The other, also long gone, a big affair with beautifully varnished exterior and a very big sign about 20 feet long saying Glen Spirit Vaults, was never referred to as anything but Morrison's.  There's a pub in the centre of town - the widow's. The widow has been dead for many many many years. It's had various names.  Port Glasgow used to have 72 pubs - the number had reduced to 72, said the clergyman who wrote the report.

Poosie Nansie's caught my eye. Nancy was the wife of the proprietor when Burns drank there. He is responsible for the name.