[BITList] Letter to the Editor at the INDEPENDENT

M.j. Feltham ismay at mjfeltham.plus.com
Mon Apr 8 22:16:11 BST 2013

The letter in question !

Mike

 Last month, I decided to surrender my unemployment benefit and have a go at living on a cabinet minister’s salary instead.

It’s been tough giving up Morrisons and going to Waitrose or Fortnums instead, especially because I’d got used to the checkout girls and the BOGOF specials. I’m also not happy about having to surrender my pushbike for a limo. At least cycling around for all these job interviews was keeping me fit.

The real thing I’m struggling with is being able to claim all my expenses back. Basically, all I have is expenses, so I have nothing to spend the salary on. What should I do with it all? Perhaps I could finally think about getting that east wing built. But then, couldn’t I claim that as an expense as well? How much does a tax lawyer cost, anyway?

If I’d known how difficult it would be, I’d have kept my stupid mouth shut.