[BITList] Fwd: Videos Show Carnival Triumph Adrift onMobileRiver| gCaptain - Maritime & Offshore News

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Thu Apr 4 22:13:12 BST 2013

Colin,

I remember reading about instances where the certificates were obtained in just that way.  God in heaven, its all dilution.  We get 3 year apprenticeships here nowadays, some starting in their late 20s/early30s. They call them modern apprenticeships. The uniform is a clean white boiler suit, a hard hat and a Dayglo jacket (yellow). Much time is spent at college - learning, I suppose, to be engineers and such.  In the intermediate phase a few years ago, before it got worse, we got a dozen into Kvaerner once, 6 male and 6 female, graduates in some kind of engineering, all of them. They weren't serving a formal apprenticeship, but only 3 lasted more than 6 months and stayed on till they became useful, 1 female and 2 male. Disillusionment set in when the others realised they were there to learn under supervision - they thought they had done all that at university.  When I was in Denmark, graduates and others who hadn't done our kind of training did 6-8 years at the board before reaching the dizzy heights of the likes of me.  We were graded as chartered engineers.