[BITList] Fwd: Captain of the Titanic 'failed navigation test' -Telegraph

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Fri Sep 21 10:38:44 BST 2012

Mike,

The only news considered fit to print at the moment concerns royal
striptease and other such photos. And, as you say, what's newsworthy about
some ancient exam subject?

The whole article is based on an imperfect grasp of what it's about. Where
and when did a Cert of Competency deal with sobriety and conduct?  And "all
ranks from mates to Captains were required to sit these examinations."  What
the hell's that about?

It says, "All of this stuff is hand-written and the ink has faded, often
there's very bad handwriting and mistakes are made or rats ate the
documents," said Robinson.  And thereby lies the reason I don't subscribe to
Ancestry.com. A friend paid good money for a lot of ill-transcribed crap
that bore almost no relation to what was on the original record.  I got the
truth from the original record for next to nothing.  God knows who did the
transcribing for Ancestry.com.