[BITList] Monster Tasmanian King Crab

franka franka at iinet.net.au
Mon Sep 17 13:38:51 BST 2012

Lunch anyone?
frank

  * *Claude weighs a mighty 15lbs and measures 15 inches wide and would
    have produced 20lbs worth of meat *

*By Jill Reilly and Emily Andrews*

*PUBLISHED: 13:51 GMT, 30 April 2012 | UPDATED: 08:10 GMT, 1 May 2012*

*He was destined for the pot – if they had found one big enough to fit.*

*But Claude the Tasmanian giant crab was saved from death when the
fisherman who caught him sold him to a British aquarium for £3,000.*

*Now, after a 29-hour plane journey from Australia – where giant crab
meat is a delicacy – and two weeks in quarantine, Claude is ready to
meet his public.*

*Catch of the day: Held up by Sealife aquarist Jemma Battric, Claude
weighs a mighty 15lbs and measures 15 inches wide - when he is fully
grown he will weigh a whopping 30lbs and gain an extra three inches*

*Lucky escape: The Tasmanian King Crab is a delicacy in its native
Australia and was destined for the dinner table until it was snapped up
by a British aquarium worker. He paid £3,000 for three and had them
flown to the UK *

*He will go on display at the Sea Life centre in Weymouth, Dorset, on
Thursday, and his two companions will be moved to other centres in
Birmingham and Berlin if Claude responds well to his new home.*

*Currently he is being kept on his own in a specially made cylindrical
tank, ten feet tall and six feet wide, but the aquarium will introduce
some coldwater fish once he is settled. *

*Mini me: Claude dwarfs a British Shore crab who is put on his back for
size and to show just how gigantic he is *

*Big crab, small appetite: 'The crabs don't eat very much despite being
one of the largest species and they will feed on shrimp, prawns, and
squid when they are here,' said Jemma Battrick, aquarist at Weymouth Sea
Life *

*In the wild, crabs eat any dead or dying matter they find on the seabed
but Claude is currently dining on diced mackerel and squid and is
reportedly very happy with his gourmet diet.*

*Rob Hicks, head marine biologist for Sea Life, said: ‘They are such
impressive creatures we thought that it was worth the cost and effort of
flying them halfway round the world so they can flourish in an aquarium
display.*

*‘They had a stopover in Hong Kong and arrived with us two weeks ago. It
took them a few days to get over the jet-lag but now they’re feeding
happily and don’t seem any the worse for their trip.’*

*Jemma Battrick, aquarist at Weymouth Sea Life said: 'When I found out
we were getting the crabs in I was really excited.*

*Massive claws: Rob Hicks, head marine biologist for Sea Life, said:
'They are such impressive creatures we thought that it was worth the
cost and effort of flying them half-way round the world to so they can
flourish in an aquarium display'*

*'We already have a tank here for them so it will be easy to move them
in, and they will go on display straight away.*

*'The crabs don’t eat very much despite being one of the largest species
and they will feed on shrimp, prawns, and squid when they are here.*

*'We want to increase their numbers but in Australia people eat them and
I think visitors to the Sea Life will be shocked when they find that out
because they look so magnificent.*

Santos Ltd A.B.N. 80 007 550 923

Disclaimer: The information contained in this email is intended only for the use of the person(s) to whom it is addressed and may be confidential or contain privileged information.

If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any perusal, use, distribution, copying or disclosure is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this email in error please immediately advise us by return email and delete the email without making a copy.

No virus found in this message.