[BITList] formula E

x50type at cox.net x50type at cox.net
Fri Sep 14 17:33:35 BST 2012

ooooow – electric racing cars!

ct

Forget Formula 1, Formula E to start 2014

Thursday, September 13, 2012

NEW YORK, USA (AFP) — Motor racing is set for an electric makeover that will see a new generation of green cars speeding at 220 kmh (138 mph) around urban racetracks — at least until their batteries run out.

Alejandro Agag, CEO of Formula E Holdings, says the global championship, which has been authorised by motorsport’s governing body the Federation Internationale de l’Automobile, will help finally make electric cars popular.

“That is one of our main objectives: to change perceptions of people about electric cars if we manage to have a championship that is sexy, that people like, that they see people racing without breaking down,” he told AFP.

Formula E is planned to start in 2014 with 10 races staged worldwide between about May and November.

Organisers hope for all the races to take place in city centres, potentially stretching from European capitals like Paris, London and Rome to more far-flung locales like Moscow, Beijing, Sydney and even Morocco’s ancient city of Marrakech.

Rio de Janeiro is the first city to come on board.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/latestnews/Forget-Formula-1--Formula-E-to-start-2014#ixzz26SjjuOYb