[BITList] back up generators fail

FS franka at iinet.net.au
Tue Oct 30 21:36:29 GMT 2012

Hugh / Colin
Think a lot of this type of failure can be put down to all the so called
sophisticated add ons to make the engines more efficient and faster
starting Ive found that most failures are in the auxiliary control
circuits, with the old fashioned engines with no add ons amazingly
reliable starting up with no trouble even after lying around in the
jungle unattended for years,  getting the generators to produce
electricity though was another story
frank

Hugh
following are responses I got from other engineers................
'We don't need to test them.' They'll be OK, and we never have power
failure anyway.....

I was on one ship where the Master Ordered me not to do the Monthly Test
under load; it messed up some of their navigational playthings...

That is bad. Of course they were installed by crooked contractor making
payoffs to inspectors, mafia, etc if stereotypes are to be believed.

I guess they should have started  -- but lost starting handle, batteries
down, key to engine room lost, flash light batteries dead, no signal to
start automatically received, luch break, engineer went home [wife
called], etc. Or could be as we had in new orleans when the place was
flooded during katrina, hospital emergency generators were located in
the basements or at ground level and were all
submerged.....................duh!

ct