[BITList] Maritime Monday for October 22nd, 2010: Take Yer Arse to School (Ships).uk | gCaptain - Maritime &Offshore News

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Tue Oct 23 08:39:31 BST 2012

Colin,

A fascinating document. I came across training ships rather obliquely, while researching for a historical article I'm preparing on the poor in our area. In the 1897-98 Poor Law lists I came across an entry under Industrial Schools : Clyde Training Ship "Empress" - Mary Purcell's son, James.  James wasn't there as a pauper, but for some misdemeanour (unspecified) that brought him to court.  There is much in the following :
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/trainingships/