[BITList] Fwd: Owen Paterson declares war on the Oxford comma -Telegraph

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Mon Oct 15 09:56:50 BST 2012

Mike,

Oh, dearie me!  Half the UK doesn't know what a comma is, for God's sake.

At Port Glasgow High were were never told about the Oxford comma, so until I
started reading all the Morse novels I'd never heard of it. And better
writers that I (me?) start sentences with "and".  But not with "but".  And
no sentences without a verb.  Not ever.

We were given a list of words to use very sparingly, if at all, and a
mnemonic phrase to recall them by.

"Never quite get a lot of awful nice things."