[BITList] Fwd: Blackout - UK P&I Club Analysis Of Main Engine Failures | gCaptain - Maritime & Offshore News

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Thu Oct 11 16:06:39 BST 2012

Mike,

Dilutee staff? In all my career I only witnessed one ME failure.  That was
when a Kincaid engine on shop test ran all its bottom ends. We, the
recording squad, had to sit and wait for hours. At sea, before starting, eg,
a purifier (a lowish running load, but high starting load) it was routine in
BI to examine the total load and consider running up another generator in
good time. This could be once a watch. Pressing a wrong button?  The only
button we had was the panic button.  Too many bloody buttons and not enough
engineers.