[BITList] MailOnline :: Drunk Russian sea captain four times the drink drive limit twice crashed his 30, 000 tonne ship into lock gates

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Tue Oct 9 22:36:42 BST 2012

Pissed or not, was the captain at the wheel? If so, why? Short of staff?

Scientific Sid was often pissed, but when he entered the ER pissed he was ignored. The ag wallah on my watch came down to tell me the Burrah Mistri Sahib was such and such, which turned out to be pissed, in the boiler room (Chakdara), and desirous of the boilers being shut down.  Not being daft, the ag wallah handed over the problem to others he considered more suited to the task, ie, me, newly promoted acting 4th (unpaid), and my erstwhile fellow junior, Jim Broadley, as I recall.  It fell to me to attend at the scene, where I found that Sid was (a) indeed pissed, and (b) still intent on shutting the place down.  Having recently promoted me to acting 4th (unpaid), he wasn't in a mood to take shit from me, so I sent up for the 2nd, Ernie Elrick, who got Sid out of the ER and chastised me for not having done so.  Such were the trials of command in the BI.