[BITList] Microwave n water

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Mon Nov 26 19:24:27 GMT 2012

Malcolm,

Now I have an explanation for something that annoys me.  If I make packet soup, Knorr type or the like, when I add the contents of the packet to the water boiling in the pot, the mixture fizzes up and will overflow if precautions are not taken. Likewise, one of the lads I sailed with in BI had a swizzle stick made of bamboo. About 30mm of the business end had been shaved down and slit longitudinally into many many slivers. The slivers curled up, whether naturally or not I don't recall, but simply placing it into a drink that had anything "gassy" in it resulted in an immediate frothing up - no movement required. All the little sharp ends to blame.

On a visit to Canada, my mother-in law saw her first microwave oven. After observing people using it she deduced it was a new way of boiling water for tea and, until informed otherwise, she boiled a cup of water in it before adding a tea bag (with no ill effects).