[BITList] Fwd: Britain's nuclear hunter-killer submarines were doomed from the start | UK news | The Guardian

FA franka at iinet.net.au
Sat Nov 17 08:04:31 GMT 2012

Mike
Reminds me of HMS Victorious she was in dry dock for seven years some
did their entire apprenticeship on her, we took 3 decks off and replaced
them with 4 new ones plus the first angled flight deck along with new
engines and boilers, but the modifications where coming faster than we
could install them which meant that after about 5 mods the whole lot
would be ripped out and the process started again in the end a new
captain of the dockyard arrived who had been there 8 years previously
and on finding that Victorious was still being refitted ordered her out
finished or not finished, which meant that we had the most up to-date
obsolete carrier in the world at that time The caissons by this time
where under 24 hour surveillance they were leaking so bad and in danger
of collapse
frank