[BITList] a little knowledge

x50type at cox.net x50type at cox.net
Mon Nov 12 23:38:22 GMT 2012

now this really is funny.................................

[is it indicative of the geo-political knowledge of the youth of this country? ]

ct

Anti-Obama Teen Kristen Neel's Tweet About Moving To Australia Triggers Heated Twitter Backlash
By Dominique Mosbergen

2,9153713283297GET POLITICS ALERTS:
 SIGN UPREACT:Important
Funny
Typical
Scary
Outrageous
Amazing
Innovative
Finally

FOLLOW:Elections 2012, Australia, Elections 2012, Twitter, Video, Anti-Obama, Anti-Obama Tweet,Kristen Neel, Kristen Neel Obama, Kristen Neel Twitter, Weird News, Politics News

Presumably upset by President Barack Obama's reelection, a Georgia teen, like many other disgruntled Americans, took to Twitter to express her frustrations. She could never have imagined, however, the sort of backlash she would get for her tweet.

As the Herald Sun notes, on Wednesday afternoon, 18-year-old Kristen Neel tweetedthis comment to her followers:

(Screenshot courtesy of the Herald Sun)

Within hours, an onslaught of criticism erupted as many Australians pointed out that the leader of their country, Julia Gillard, is an atheist and a woman.

Ian Cuthbertson, TV editor at The Australian, and author Mark Pesce, were among those who responded to Neel's message.

  Ian Cuthbertson at cuthbertsoni
  @KristenNeel_ Our prime minister is a woman, an atheist who lives with a man she hasn't married. I don't think you'd like it here.
  7 Nov 12 a.. Reply a.. Retweet a.. Favorite
  Mark Pesce at mpesce
  . at KristenNeel_ 1) Australia does not have a president. 2) Our prime minister is an atheist. 3) Yes, she really is.
  7 Nov 12 a.. Reply a.. Retweet a.. Favorite
  Gilbert at post_rock0
  . at kristenneel_ our "president" is a prime minister, is a woman, and is an atheist. I think you meant Antarctica. Move there.
  7 Nov 12
  ABCnewsIntern at ABCnewsIntern
  @KristenNeel_ Not one word of that sentence is true. I'm not even angry, I'm impressed.
  7 Nov 12 a.. Reply a.. Retweet a.. Favorite

According to Australia's Herald Sun, Neel's tweet quickly became a viral sensation, receiving more than 1,400 retweets from "bemused Aussies" and others.

But while many criticized the Georgia teen for getting her facts muddled, some Twitter users leapt to her defense, "saying she had been the victim of trolls," Australia's Fraser Coast Chronicle writes.

Still, less than a day after her tweet was posted, Neel disabled her account.