[BITList] Popular Wrench Fights a Chinese Rival - NYTimes.com

Malcolm malcena2 at uwclub.net
Sun Nov 11 15:42:20 GMT 2012

Hugh,

In our yard we also had a big hammer. It was slung with a rope from a ring
that was welded under the stern of a fleet of tugs that we looked after. Its
only job that it did was to loosen the propeller's nut off and then help to
knock off the propeller. It always needed two men to swing it about and you
had to be very quick on your feet when they ever missed the spanner if it
was your turn to hold it. You quickly realised that all the men over 50
years old never held the spanner, it was always us young fit and strong ones
had the job and we used to boast about it because the old buggers could not
do it. Ah! the folly of youth.

Malcolm.

  _____